PSAC local 901 invites all graduate-student Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows to attend the first General Membership Meeting of the 2011-2012 academic year.
PSAC local 901 Fall 2011 General Membership Meeting
Date: 13 October 2011
Time: 5:00pm -7pm
Location: John Orr Room 344, JDUC
We will be providing free food and refreshments at the start of the meeting, and encourage you to join us in a more social setting at the Tir Nan Og after the meeting.
You must be a member in good standing to attend, vote, or run for office. If you have questions about your membership status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please post this notice on all graduate-student list serves so that all graduate-student Teaching Assistants and Fellows will be notified of the upcoming General Membership Meeting.
- Quorum check
- Approval of minutes from AGM (26 April 2011; minutes are posted at www.psac901.org
- Local updates from Executive Officers
- Affiliation with the Kingston and District Labour Council and the Ontario Federation of Labour
- Bylaw amendments
- Local’s budget
- New Business
- Nominations and elections for delegates to PSAC National Triennial Convention
- Nominations and elections for local 901 vacant officers (Secretary, Health and Safety Officer, Moderator, and Chief Returning Officer)
Bylaw Amendments up for consideration:
Changes to executive Position names and status:
1. “Assistant Chief Steward” and “Chief Steward”: At all instances where this office is mentioned, the names shall be changed to “Co-Chief Steward,” to reflect the equal partnership between the two chief steward offices. If the 2012 AGM adopts a motion to dissolve the position of the second Chief Steward, “Co-Chief Steward” shall then be changed to read “Chief Steward”.
2. “Secretary”: At all instances where this office is mentioned, the name shall be changed to “Information Officer” to better reflect the broad objectives of this position and how it relates to the membership.
3. “Occupational Health and Safety Officer”: this position’s description will be moved from bylaw section 5.2.3 to bylaw section 5.1.7. This move reflects the change of this position from a non-executive office to an executive office.
Additional Committees to be added to section 7, Committees, of the bylaws:
7.2.8. Flying Squad
The Flying Squad shall:
(1) Consist of at least two Executive Officers, each acting as co-chair, and at least two additional Members in good standing; and
(2) Organize, facilitate, and participate in direct action against forms of social, political, economic, and ecological oppression
7.2.9. LGBT Committee
The LGBT Committee shall
(1) Consist of one Executive member and at least two additional Members in good standing, any of which may act as chair; and
(2) Organize, facilitate, and participate in research and other activities to raise awareness around LGBT issues and to work toward creating more inclusive spaces in the local, the university, and the broader Kingston community
7.3.0. Strategic Research Committee
The Strategic Research Committee shall:
(1) Consist of the President, acting as chair, and at least two additional Members in good standing of the local; and
(2) Build, maintain, and enhance the local’s understanding of the institutional structures within and intersecting with the university, the academe, and other relevant organizations and communities